Mouth Cancer Screening
Studies show that mouth cancer is on the increase and that early detection dramatically improves the chances of recovery. Late detection of mouth cancers has resulted in a higher proportion of deaths per number of cases than breast cancer, cervical cancer or skin melanoma, with about 2,700 deaths per year in the UK. Mouth cancer screening is a simple procedure performed at a dental practice that involves the following:
- A detailed analysis of your oral health history to determine any risk factors that you might have.
- A thorough examination of the outside of your mouth, head and neck by observation and touch.
- A thorough internal examination of your mouth, including the inside of your cheeks and under your tongue.
- A handheld scanning device may also be used to examine any lumps or lesions that you might have.
- Any inconclusive findings will be referred to a specialist consultant.
It is recommended that you come in for a screening on a yearly basis. If you have any sores, lumps or long-term ulcers in your mouth, no matter how small, it is very important that you come in to have it looked at. Because smoking is strongly linked with many forms of cancer and other dental problems, we always encourage our patients to quit smoking. An excellent source of information is the Mouth Cancer Foundation if you require any further information.
- Sustained good oral health.
- Sustained good general health.
- Early detection of oral cancer dramatically improves the prognosis.
These checks really can save lives. We recently had a patient who was at low risk of cancer, as a result of an oral cancer check, unfortunately cancer was diagnosed. Thankfully, due to early diagnosis and successful treatment, the patient has made a full recovery.
Watch Ian's video testimonial here:
If you want to reduce the lines on your face without having to resort to surgical procedures, the good news is that facial rejuvenation techniques can soften wrinkles for a more youthful appearance. The benefit of having this treatment done by dentists is that they have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the facial anatomy and can perform this delicate work in a precise and safe manner. At Premier Smile Dental Excellence we use the botulinum toxin type A for this treatment, an injectable aesthetic solution. Here is how it works:
- Once injected into the skin the botulinum toxin relaxes the tiny facial muscles, which cause expression lines, by blocking the nerve impulses in them, leaving the skin looking smoother.
- Areas on the face that can be treated include frown lines (vertical lines which form between the eyebrows), eyebrows, crow's feet, forehead lines and lines around the mouth and top lip, known as 'smoker's lines'.
- The injection is quick and painless, usually lasting around 5-10 minutes and requiring no anaesthetic. Results will usually be seen in a few days, sometimes taking between 4-7 days for the effects to be seen.
As this is not a permanent treatment, the effects will wear off over time. It is therefore possible for the procedure to be repeated every 3 months for effective results.
- Reduced facial lines for more youthful appearance.
- Non-surgical and painless procedure.